Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Manifest Destiny

Sometimes music speaks to me more than anything else can or does in my life. On August 1st my roommate, Katie, who is a sign language interpreter, is signing for a concert featuring Guster (no idea) and Ray LaMontangue (love him man, I just love him). She is signing for Guster, and was practicing for us. One of the songs that I just heard for the first time was called “Manifest Destiny”. When I was listening to the words, I jumped off the bed to go get my camera. Here is the video and the words she is signing: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8672289353760176238

You and I can quit this scene
Build a town and then secede
Like an Adam and an Eve
To the dreamers go the dreams
But the leaders take the lead
It's a frightening, frightening thing

Born to the land of opportunity
of Manifest destiny

Do you want to change your mind?
You can always change your mind


For some of you destiny and purpose may seem crystal clear and you have no problems deciphering what the heck God wants to do with your life. For me, it has been a road where I feel like I only get to travel a few inches at a time with some light. But I know the dreams I have dreamed since I was a little girl, before I even knew what God was all about. Those dreams came back to me in college and especially in grad school. I don’t believe dreams are given to us in vain, but I still don’t know how much we do ourselves and how much is God. I know our life is full of OUR choices.

I don’t want my life to be a waste, I want it to have served a purpose. I never thought I would be in this town, that D.C. would be apart of the journey, or how it fits into the whole picture. I thought by now, that I would be hanging out in some hut in a third world country. Who knew?





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, she's so pretty. I miss her so much.

Btw: nice singing Jen.

Thanks for posting that. You're a great friend.

celina said...

several things:
1)it's amazing and good that we can find ourselves doing things we would have never imagined doing and be completely happy.
2)the first time i saw guster in concert was in austin, tx. i went because my friend was in the show -playing violin in one of the songs. you should go to the show. our stories will be similiar. and btw, i am now a big fan of guster.
3)what is the name of the community your friend is in?
4)i am glad that we met again this way.

JD said...

Charlie Vance - Hey man! We miss you hanging out at the Silver Spring holiday inn. You should come see my pretty roomate at the concert!!!! We are exciting for your up and coming law school venture!

Shelly - The more i listen to Guster, the more i like them, and in fact am going to the concert Aug 1st but mainly because Ray is playing and he is soooo good.

I don't remember the intentional community name but it's in North Carolina, and Brian McLaren talks about the community in one of his books. My friends name is Jessie and she said she would love to talk to you about it. Will you have devina pass along your email so i can send you more info and catch you up on stuff! i'm glad we are getting to stay in touch as well! jdd

Anonymous said...

Girl, I love you! That was an awesome video. :)

JD said...

LIZ!!! Are you back in town??? We need to call so you can catch me up on what happened down South. besos! jd

Your Friend Aaron said...

you have a very nice voice, jen.

...and you sing well, too.

JD said...

Sweet Aaron. :) Thanks man!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JD said...

hey i'll give her the addy but i'm thinking this may give you false hopes man. it's complicated. jen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Pilgrim,

you are certainly making progress. Could you handle it all if He told you right? Me thinks not... Luv ya! -AGM

JD said...

ali - i know, i know, it's all about faith and trust and all that good stuff :)