Friday, July 28, 2006

Faces in the crowd: Jeremy S

In H-Town our major newspaper is the Houston Chronicle. I’m not particularly fond of the Chronicle, but they have this little vignette each week called, “Faces in the Crowd”. It features someone in the area that is worthy of knowing, who is just plain cool. A guy I know from Deidrichs coffee shoppe was featured a month ago, which you can view here. You won’t be disappointed.

So I decided to create my own “Faces in the Crowd” because I have some very unique characters in my life that I think others should know about, even if it’s vicariously though my perspective. If you find yourself as a feature, don’t be alarmed. I can promise you that 99.9% of what I write will be good stuff.

My first feature is a fellow partner in crime at ICC: Jeremy S.

Jeremy S. is a unique bird – and it’s not because he was home schooled (please laugh at that Jeremy). First of all, we have to start out with his car, which we fondly call Estelle. She is amazing in that her whole rear end is covered in bumper stickers:



















In fact, some of them that I especially love are : “Make mine Virginia wine
and “This car protected by a man who plays the bagpipes”, and so on.


Jeremy S is teachable. He frequently asks the girls at our organization how to be a better boyfriend. I don’t know if he would exactly express it this way, but basically I think his motivation is to understand and be more empathetic to the female soul. He always asks good questions.

The man is a pro at picking out produce. Occasionally we trade food items at lunch, and the other day I gave him my avocado for his peach. I definitely got the better deal.


My final story: When Jeremy S was trying to figure out if he was supposed to take the job at our organization, he felt like he needed to include God in on the conversation and what better way to bond man to man than to smoke a cigar? I personally believed God was more of a pipe person, but anyhow he sat in the parking lot and smoked a cigar and at the end of the discussion he decided to take the plunge.. But not untill he had climbed the wall of the building to see inside. When he saw that the suites were looking good that sealed the deal for him. He was ready to go to work.

Is this young man so inspirational to dedicate a whole blog post to him? I think so. Jeremy is a face worth noticing, because he has a heart worth noticing (a bit cheesy but it's true). In my daily observations I have noticed he carries himself in such a self-effacing way, with strength but also with great humility. If you spoke with him, you would have to really dig deep to know that he practically runs the place. As a newcomer to the group, it is a privilege to know and to learn from him.

And by the way, he really does play the bagpipes....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely worth knowing.

Speaking of worth knowing, I hope to meet you and the ICC gang sometime soon, Jen. :)

JD said...

renee, we are looking forward to meeting you as well, especially as highly as Jeremy talks about you! :) Jen