Friday, July 14, 2006

Amazing

I met an amazing woman today.

Part of my job is to network with Christians that are serving in some of the most persecuted places in the world. I met this woman because she works in one of the countries I cover. She met me at the metro and when she saw me she came over to greet me, not with a handshake but with an embrace. I think I can't count on my one hand how many times I have been hugged up here. No body hugs on the East Coast, i'm not sure what it is. So right off, I knew I was going to like her.

We had lunch, and she told me about her life, how she endured one tyrannical regime in her twenties and now her own homeland is under a great deal of oppression. She has dealt with being separated from her husband. She has seen her own people starved, beaten, and put into tiny holding cells at extreme temperatures. She has seen so much but there is such a joy and a pure love that came from her, that I can not give justice to it in my own words.

I wonder in our own country, where we sometimes think about freedom with about as much intensity as we did our last meal, could we stand so strong in the face of hardship? And could we emanate the kind of love I felt coming from this woman?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you get the blessing of knowing a deeper spiritual reality and then you get the honor to use your talents to convey it to others. Thanks for meeting such great people and exposing the rest of the Kingdom world to us comforted, sometimes complacent Christians.

Anonymous said...

that's my comment. The computer messed up.