Monday, July 31, 2006

Community and a cup of coffee

So church. I've been looking for one here, and not sure if I have found one yet. There are a few that have caught my eye. One that meets at Union Station that is sending people out all over the world, and reaching out to the homeless around the train station. I loved their heart to reach out. Another one is here in Maryland where they sort of bring the liturgical and evangelical worshippers in one house. Communion, giving of tithes, singing all occur together. You can light a candle, sing, join a few others in prayer. All of these actions are ways to pour out our affections for our God and so it refreshed me.

Wanting to be truely involved again in church has been a slow process, but i think i'm ready. My church in Houston experienced a painful split, a few years ago that literally broke my heart. I mean I think my chest hurt when I entered the building for about a year afterwards. This was my family and I thought we laid our lives down for our family, we dont' walk out. We don't give up so easily when things get tough. I even cut all my hair off as this weird response to how hurt i was about it. WHO DOES THAT EXACTLY? Normal girls cut their hair off after a horrible break up with a boy. I cut all my hair off because my church broke up.

So three things got me going again. One: The Church of the Resurrection Episcopal. When i was raising support for my current position, I met two priests in Southern California. Father Mark and Father Nick. I met with them several times to talk about what I would be doing in D.C. I went to their early morning service and shared communion with them. Afterwards they bought me breakfast and just talked wtih me, and they loved on me. Just being in their presence was healing, and it made me see how I can still trust my heart to people who want to lead.

Second: The guys at Deidrichs' coffee shoppe. I had been going to this coffee house since grad school, but never really hung out with the morning crew untill the last eight or nine months of being in houston. We would talk about everything, politics, church history, God, sex, football (which i tolerated), movies, and then some. It taught me something about community, and that programs are most definitely not the answer and sometimes more is accomplished spiritually over a cup of joe and the new york times than going to the monday night bible study.

Third: God taught me that there is no man or ministry that will ever be the foundation of my life. Jesus and only Jesus my faithful one, my rock, my great love. Let Him always be with me during the church dramas and the storms in this life...

The church split really shook me up, but I think it was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

5 comments:

rh said...

In my experience, I've noticed that pastor led churches tend to have a more unstable membership than congregation led churches. If you want to maintain the relationships built in pastor led churches, they have to be based on something other than the church itself.

People stick with these churches to be a part of what the pastor wants to do. They believe in the person. When the person changes or the focus changes, people move on.

Congregation led churches tend to get greater commitment from people because the church community determines the direction of the ministry. The pastor serves the community and leads them only where they are willing to go. If the community doesn't like the pastor or his ministry focus, then the pastor moves on.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm so glad that you can finally say it was a good thing. Luv ya. -AGM

Anonymous said...

Hey, you got something against Candians? ;) -AGM

JD said...

AGM: I wouldn't wish a church split on anyone, but if you can learn from it then so be it.

i have got nothing against you canadians..besides my brother matthew knows some quality canadians in his circle.

p.s. yet, canadian speak is interesting - when i see you i'm gonna make you say words like "pasta" and "about", ect... :)
as much as i can.

Fayaway_Lover said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.