Sunday, August 06, 2006

Shenandoah National Park









This was the most jam packed weekend since my car pulled into D.C. this past May. Sat. morning I went to BOWIE, Maryland to have breakfast with a girl i met at Cedar Ridge. Then back onto the orange line to hang out with some very fun Mac enthusiasts who i think have managed to pull me out of the shameful pit of PCs. The first thing to do is repent and head to an Apple Store.
On to Dulles to pickup Liz who was speaking at a church in middle of nowhere Virginia about her summer in Guatemala where she worked with gangs (Liz is another H town friend, God love em for coming up here). Acutally, it wasn't middle of nowhere, VA - in reality it was four miles from Shenandoah National Park. So a detour was in order. I walked along the Appalachian trial, took pictures of butterflies, and sat on a big fat rock overlooking the view and read some of the Word, which I had been neglecting, or at least my soul had been feeling the neglect...










Illuminated on the page were these words: "My heart is not proud, O Lord my eyes are not haughty; I do not consider myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me..."


It was good to be in a beautiful national park with just God, the gnats, and my thoughts. My soul was quiet, all attentions and affections undivided. Not worrying about mondays list of chores, or things in my life that I cannot control in the first place. Not worrying about tomorrow because tomorrow can take care of itself.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for the butterflies, jen. reminds me of God. you know, 30 ain't that bad!

JD said...

i just tried to call you wish you a happy 30th. will try to call tomorrow. this is going to be a good year for you. jd

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I think some of that peace you experienced just spilled off your Blog and into my heart. Thank you friend! You're a good story teller.

JD said...

ali - glad to hear jerret's surgery went well. what a relief. let me know if they give any more updates.