Sunday, August 20, 2006

The joy of discovering my neglect

Tonight, my roomate had about 15 of her old college friends come over (in light of a wedding in town) to hang out. We were watching a DVD of some worship that she had from her old church in Cape Town, South Africa where she taught for a year. We watched it and started to sing along. Just watching the crowd, made me cry, just seeing the thousands with their hands out, head to the sky, and tears pouring down. Each soul in a different part of the journey, but with one great thing in common: they longed to be in His presence, above all things, to love Him and be loved by Him.

Later on, I closed my door and listened to my own worship, a woman by the name of Rita Springer, who actually used to lead worship in Houston. She grew up homeless, her parents staying in parks and such.... They recognized her talent though, and somehow nurtured it. Rita is so good because she sings alot about broken people that need God. The rich. The poor. The one that seems to be straight as an arrow, and the wondering son. Whether or not we recognize it, our hearts long for God.

My soul has been so weary lately. i couldn't quite place my finger on it this week, but i understand now.

Why do I neglect my first love, when He is so ready to give all of Himself?? I want to be like David that meditated on Him in the first hours of morning and in the twilight hours before i close my eyes to dream.

Let it be Your face Lord, that I seek.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jen.
This is Tonya B. from ASU (not B. anymore though, :-)!) I had a wonderful call from Devina today and she updated me on a few ASU-ites. WOW! I just read many of your entries! I sense that God is doing awesome and BIG things in your life. Praise HIM! I'd love to hear about your organization and ministry. How exciting for you to be visiting Africa! Good to "see" you again! I'm at joystrength@gmail.com, if you get a few minutes to drop a line. GOD BLESS YOU, my "old" friend!

JD said...

tonya, will email you ASAP to catch up and give you info on what i am doing... i knew this whole blog thing was going to work in my favor! i hope you are doing well my friend. jd

Anonymous said...

One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. Psalm 27:4

That's what I've been thinking about too! :)

JD said...

ali, i sent out an email this morning to see who would be in houston labor day weekend. let mel know if you will be there or no. thanks, jen

Chris Whitler said...

This is Chris who works with Aaron. Consider yourself bookmarked. I have enjoyed your writing.

JD said...

sandra!!!! what the heck! i am uber excited about coming labor day. i just decided to bite and go, i have been missing houston like you don't understand. you, mel, and i need to go out fri night, what say you?

JD said...

Chris - you guys are awesome. i'm so glad i can stay connected with those that are pursuing after the same things in life. praying for y'all. jen

rh said...

good one, i easily forget the same