Saturday, August 26, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine

Today i went to the movies with new friend Abby (lover of Sufjian Stevens, Russian literature, and Trader Joes) and saw Little Miss Sunshine. Now, let me just add a disclaimer: Bad language is thrown about it in this movie. I don't want people to tell me i led them astray because they were offended by the movie. You've been officially warned.

If you can get over that, i think you will like it, in fact you might be like me and laugh out loud from time to time. It's like Chevy Chase's Vacation meets The Royal Tenenbaums. More than that though, some of the elements in the movie reminded of road trips in the past. Here are my top three most memorable road trips:

1. Trip with Kelli my roomate from college: Drove thru Boston, New Hampshire, Maine, Canada (New Brunswick), and Prince Edward Island. Kel's favorite part of the trip: seeing the house where they filmed Anne of Green Gables. Jen's favorite part: The old cemetaries in Boston. Least favorite part: driving in Boston, i got cussed out the whole time, despite trying to get out of there as fast as i could.

2. Trip with my father from Houston to D.C. this past May: Most memorable part: We broke down in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. My dad was so great about it from start to finish. He was so exhausted after traveling from Phoenix to come get me but didn't complain once. The trip ended with a hug from my dad and him handing over a special gift: a GINORMOUS mace canister that i can hang on my key chain. Love is driving your only daughter 1400 miles in a very sketchy car and hooking her up with a big can of mace.

3. Trip with my friend Tony and his dad to go hiking in the Sangre De Cristo Mountains in Colorado. On that trip I learned why he loves the musical Jesus Christ Superstar, and William Blake, among other things. We had set up camp in Mt. Blanco, and i remember getting out of my tent at about 2 am in the 20 degree weather and gazing up at the sky that was absolutely luminous with stars. Favorite part of the trip: taking naps in my tent and listening to the river below us....

No comments: