Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Pastor James

I've been busy the last few weeks because my organizations main contact from Sudan, Pastor James is in town. I think James is going to start calling me the weeping missionary, because his stories make me cry. Mostly - because I feel so bad that in our country the things we should treasure most we take for granted.

One story I will share about his life. In 1988, Northern troops surrounded the largest city in the S. Sudan, Juba, and were basically starving the people to death. Weeks went by and children were starting to die, every day more holes were dug for bodies. Instead of despairing, James and his friends would sit together and remember how faithful God is and His provision. Every day they would thank God for His love that endures forever. It is something that is more valuable than food, more precious than our momentary lives. The life of Jesus, the life He extends to each and every one of us.

James words to us in our devotion this morning: "There is nothing greater in this life than serving our Lord. There is nothing greater in this life than serving others. If we impact one person while we are here on this earth, all the hardship is worth it."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's gone, Jen, and it's awful.

JD said...

Ash - My friend Joe emailed me yesterday to say: there was talk of opening this morning for free coffee but when i dropped by a little after seven the place was still closed. went to the montrose diedrich's. nice but not the same. sigh.....

JD said...

BTW: Will you be in town at the end of dec? i will be in H town.

Anonymous said...

I'll be gone for Christmas, but back for New Years....don't know the dates yet. when are you coming?

JD said...

dec 27-28 and probably leave january 1 or 2, not set in stone yet though. i can't wait!!!

rh said...

I don't think I've ever believed that. Maybe, I've thought something like that before, but I've never lived it for very long.

Anonymous said...

which part? the thanking God part, or the serving God is meaningful part?