Sunday, November 26, 2006

Amish Country

Spent four days in Christiana, Pennsylvania. Home to Frank and Joan Testa, one of the birth places for the underground railroad (in fact there is a sign that says "Freedom was borne here"), and Amish country. The Testas spoiled me rotten, and am going back the second I get the opportunity.


For the last two or three days, I watched horse drawn buggies go by the house. The Amish apparently do not allow children to use bicycles but they will let them use scooters. Don't ask me what the difference is...






That weekend, I saw women hanging out all their clothes.









Singing Spring Foods is an Amish store, a store where oil lamps illuminate the insides.




















Amish country is unquestionably beautiful.









Amish country is full of hard working people. They work from sun up to sun down. I wanted to take more pictures of the their dress but I felt like I was invading this very private world that many never get the opportunity to see and experience.
I enjoyed the simplicity of this place. Our culture is inundated with so much "stuff". Everyone needs a good purging of all the distractions in life, and I think mine was way overdue.

1 comment:

jessica said...

You're right, Amish country is so serene. You should check out this video I just watched. It's a scenic drive through Lancaster: http://travelistic.com/video/show/2018