Wednesday, November 08, 2006

How many cows are you worth???


At lunch today I sat with my new Sudanese friend, Pastor James. I was asking him how he met his wife, which led into how different tribes bring two people together to get married. The Dinka Tribe story is the best:



First of all, the idea of love being a factor means nothing. If a Dinka man fancies a girl, his family and the girl's family starts negotiating. The guy’s family will offer the number of cows according to the strength of her attributes.

You might be wondering what a quality Dinka woman looks like. Well, according to James she is:

a. Very tall. A woman who is at least 5’9 or taller (He said my height of 5’7 could bring in about 175 – 200 cows)

b. Frankly, she needs to be a big girl. Big strong woman are considered quality because they will most likely survive the angst of bearing ten kiddoes and hacking it out in the bush. It’s all about the big strong girls – they rule in the Dinka Tribe!

c. This is the one I liked the most: The way a woman carries herself is important. The men watch the way she walks; if she is confidant in herself this is huge!!!

So just to sum it up: Tall, Strong, and Confidant, these chics will rake in a lot of cows and get hitched first.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I'll just say I'm glad my worth isn't measured in cows.

JD said...

Ash! I got your message tonight... they gutted the place already. don't make me cry...

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I ought to fetch about 175 or so :)

rh said...

interesting

JD said...

honestly i am glad we don't do that cow thing here in the United States. however, i will say the standards of beauty and what is attrative here in the US is pretty jacked up.