Sunday, October 22, 2006

Crossroads

This morning I went to The Falls Church to hear the head of International Justice Mission speak. His sermon was called: When God's Will is Scary. This was exactly the word i needed to hear this weekend.

Basically, he proposed a question: Do you want to be brave, or do you want to be safe in this life? A good question, and a question I think we are all challenged with in our few precious moments on the earth.

This can mean so many things to people. Do you want to settle in that relationship, because right now there is nothing better? Do you want to pursue that dream even though it may be costly? Do you want to travel 1500 miles across the country? Are you prepared to travel to the other side of the globe? What if you are called foolish? What if it isn't working out exactly as you anticipated?

There is a risk to following Jesus. It is high and it may cost you your life. In fact, He will most definitely ask you for all of it. Don't worry, if you haven't been asked yet, He will at some point in this journey.

I feel like I am at a crossroads in my journey, and I have been asking these questions, during the in between times... in the morning with my coffee in my car, or on the subway... Wanting a safer option, a safer route, one that is more predictable.

Jesus is not the safer option. In the Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe, Lucy sees Aslan, and she asks, "Is He safe?". The response from her companion, "Safe? Who said anything about safe? Of course He's not safe. But He is good. He is the King I tell you..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this. Thanks!

JD said...

ali - you have been mia? campus stuff busy eh?

Anonymous said...

WOW! Great words of inspiration. Very thought-provoking.

rh said...

I'm confronting similar questions. I am beginning to yield. With each degree I bend in the bowing of my head to the will of my Father, I receive a greater measure of passion for His Name, confidence in my calling, and comfort in His presence.