Monday, September 18, 2006

Jen's excellent adventure

So i am still in N. Africa, Egypt to be exact. Can't say much about specifics yet about the trip thus far, but here are six interesting highlights:

1. At JFK airport, my team was sitting waiting for our flight, and the former President of Iran came blazing through with alot of bodyguards and police. It was like witnessing a celebrity citing. I kind of freaked out.

2. On the flight to Casablanca, i found three seats that were empty and was excited because of the thought of getting a chance to sleep. The guy on the otherside of the aisle however decided to interrupt my plans and sit next to me for dinner. He said he was a "homeboy" from Morocco and there was something about my eyes. I told him thank you for the company but i really needed to rest. He went to the back of the airplane to buy me a gift. I came away with a french manicure set.

3. In Morocco, i learned more french than Arabic. I like how people say my name in french. it's different, definitely not the same old jennifer in america. it has inspired me to learn french.

4. I went into the largest mosque in the world outside of Mecca. For real man. It was amazing. the mosque is estimated to cost around 3 billion dollars and is just outside casablanca. it is built on the water, based on the islamic scripture that says the throne of Allah resides on the water. We went on a friday, when everyone went to pray. I wanted to take more pictures but the police got a little irritated with me (he was afraid of someone getting really upset with me, even though i was far away). I could write a book on this experience but will save to later.

5. There is a shortage of women of my faith in morocco and egypt. this has led to many interesting encounters here. definitely more later on this.

6. The call to prayer here wakes me up early, early in the morning. some people have told me that it gives them chills. for me, something inside just cries out for truth in this land. That this land would hunger and thirst for truth.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sounds like you are having an excellent adventure! Can't wait to hear mre about it.

Anonymous said...

i love the sound of the Islam call to prayer, i think it is lovely. when i was in uganda, i would hear it. for me, it was a call to acknowledge that there is something bigger out there than us - so no matter what you believe, i think it is an engaging, challenging, and worshipful sound.

Anonymous said...

awesome. can't wait to hear the rest of the stories!!

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Waiting (like others) to hear how you are lead and used. Wonderful experiences already. Such a blessing to know that your dreams are becoming a reality. You persevered and now you are blessed of the Lord!

JD said...

spearsie!!! good to see you on my blog!

i love all you girls.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to get me something sis. Can't wait to hear your stories. Love ya.

Fayaway_Lover said...

I just read your post now. I have thought of you and prayed for you a lot. Reading this helps me get an understanding of your trip and what went on to some degree.

Ashley introduced herself to me Friday night at a Xanga party. She told me she knew you! This was most exciting!