Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The art of being awkward on a press interview

This week I gave two interviews to press about two different issues in Africa.

A disclaimer: These are the first two interviews i have ever given to the press. I didn't enjoy it at all. I could hear myself talking and I am thinking to myself "Jen, you sound ridiculous. Jen why did they hand you the phone. Jen!!! Why aren't you still on the otherside of the ocean with your north african peeps?" I think i was repeating myself alot, because I was nervous. In the second interview the guy asked me a question about oil in sudan that was an incredibly complicated question that was difficult to lay out an "A B C" answer. So you know what i said? Yeah, "well, that is an incredibly complicated question, with no easy answer." But i did answer his question to the best of my knowledge and ridiculously limited experience. If someone has tips on how to give a poised interview please let me know.

I knew this would be apart of my job, but i feel a heightened sense of self consciousness about my words. When i gave this interview today, it was like putting on a pair of jeans that are too tight. You try to zip them up, and you are like, "Not a chance man, this is uber uncomfortable."

As the last few months have unfolded, I have to say that being in D.C. is exciting and i have enjoyed the ride so far, but my real passion is still connecting and building relationships with people from other nations. that is what i am really good at. i enjoy it and feel incredibly fulfilled by it.

interviews to the press may be the cup of tea for some, but if it was up to me, i would much rather be talking to the girl who is struggling with telling her Muslim family she just became a believer. I feel at home talking to her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry friend. It's just going to take some practice. You'll be a pro when you get a few more reps under your belt!

You're consciencious and excellent in your work. You're going to be great!

Anonymous said...

You are impressive! It doesn't matter what words come out, you carry yourself differently from many in D.C. You are doing a wonderful job in your new season. Hang in there! Love ya'.