Monday, September 25, 2006

Hassan II Mosque

One of the more interesting days of my trip: Visiting the Hassan II Mosque


The Hassan II Mosque was designed by the French architect Michel Pinceau and is the second largest in the world (after the Masjid al-Haram in Mecca). It is sited on a promontory looking out to the Atlantic, which can be seen through a gigantic glass floor with room for 25,000 worshippers. A further 80,000 can be accommodated in the mosque's courtyard. Its minaret is also the world's tallest at 210 meters.












The day we went to the mosque it was Friday, and we arrived just in time for mid day prayer.



















I like the idea of coming together to pray in the middle of the day, with friends and family.


I'm thinking of getting my own prayer rug.












4 comments:

Fayaway_Lover said...

Phenomenal! I mean you see the Atlantic through the floor. A prayer rug is a great idea. Certainly meaningful. Beautiful pictures. And interesting comments. I certainly like the idea of coming together like that for prayer with family and friends

JD said...

gordan is the above comment yours? i had no idea who "fayaway" is so i was confused. you should just use your real name cause it's a good one :) jen

Anonymous said...

awesome. I want to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I want a prayer rug!