Sunday, September 10, 2006

Beauty from ashes

One of my dearest friends, Deborah sent my church family this email five years ago on September 11.

I am on-call at the hospital tonight--but wanted to share something with all of you. LAST TUESDAY, the Lord put the following prayer on my heart--The image was strange to me at the time--but, thankfully, I wrote it down in my journal and have been praying it over and over today in light of all of the tragedy... I am praying that this would be the testimony of all of those involved in this terrible thing... Confident in the God that brings beauty from ashes,
Deborah


O Lord, how you come rescue us!
Digging us our from the things that have collapsed upon us-
The things that we lie buried in--
and that threaten to suffocate us
O Lord, you dig us out from the rubble--
From the ruins of the building that we once thought strong
When we are trapped and helpless--
Smothered-
You save us
You run to us
And dig passionately and furiously
To free us from the things
that threaten to deprive us our very breath
Praise you Jesus
I am free
I can breathe
The rubble which laid so heavy upon my chest has been lifted.
O Lord, my Deliverer.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!