Tuesday, December 19, 2006

High School Reunion

Last night I talked to my one and only friend that I keep tabs on from high school, Veronica. Roni for short. In fact, she is my oldest friend, we grew up in the same neighborhood in Live Oak, a suburb of San Antonio, Texas.We met each other when we were nine years old. It was a great time reminiscing about growing up together. It made me think of other random memories:

1. The mean kid in the neighborhood, Karmin and how I reached my limit of her one afternoon and decided to push her down and give her a good beating. My brother, the younger, even tempered sibling pulled me off of her. I don't feel guilty about that, she needed a good beating.

2. Roni lived in a part of the neighborhood that was behind a wooded area, which I was not really allowed to go - but that did not seem to stop us. There was a long hill where we would take card board and slide down - a very nice memory.

3. I remember when I was over at Roni's house we would play Debbie Gibson's album, Electric Youth, Tiffany, and gasp.... New Kids on the Block. Yikes.

4. Our friends in the fifth grade or so had a slumber party and we watched Nightmare on Elm Street, which scarred for me the next month, because I was convinced if I fell asleep a man with long claws would come after me.


5. 8th grade history: Our teacher, Mr. Haxton forced us to mount a rocking horse and recite The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere. In front of our peers. With a big hat on. And on top of that he took our picture while we rocked back and forth like mental patients and stumbled over verse.


6. Going to orchestra practice and playing the oboe. Later on in high school I would regret giving it up for atheletics. The band people always seemed to have more fun than the atheletes.

7. Tenth grade and on a trip to Round Rock, Texas to play in a volleyball match in the Fall. Our bus catches on fire and we have to pull over and run for our lives. I don't remember if we won the volleyball match.

8. Watching Channel One before class and thinking Anderson Cooper was cute, as he dodged bullets in Kosovo.

9. Going to Sonic after volleyball practice and ordering a cherry lime slush with a cherry on top.

10. Running for hours at practice and actually enjoying it.

11. Getting my braces off for Senior Year Pictures!! Woo Hoo!!!




2 comments:

rh said...

I have a tough time visualizing you beating someone up.

JD said...

it wasn't quite a complete beating. my brother was quick to intervene :)