Monday, January 15, 2007

Children of Men

This weekend I watched "Children of Men", a film, that although incredibly violent (my eyes were shut thru alot of parts), it really impacted me.

In brief, it depicted a world in 2027 where infertility is not merely epidemic, but it is absolute for all women. No one could have babies.

I think of how our society is pushing the envelope in ways to blot out life when its not convenient. We do not want to be interrupted.

It seems to be contrary to what is centrally universal to all nations and peoples. That the new life of a child is miraculous, it evokes hope in our souls, in our hearts. It is vital to our vision of the future. It is our future.

Yet we devise ways to destroy it.

I won't tell you the end of the movie, but the credits begin with the sound of the laughter of children. Characters in the film lamented about the loss of children's laughter.

Each life carries such a weight and a glory. We should be mindful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JD, I loved this film. True, it wasn't easy to watch for most of the run time. It has an important story to tell.

I read the book when it came out a few years back. I read just about anything P.D. James writes, and the fact that she did a 'forward fiction' novel rather than her normal whodunit was interesting. I can't say that I remember the book very much, but it has been several years.htt

JD said...

happy new year mike!! i didn't realize it was a book, i will have to check it out - this was the kind of movie that i could not shake, i couldn't go to sleep that night b/c i was still thinking...